- Fitness Tracker
Diet and Weight Loss Supplements If You Have High Blood Pressure
Your doctor just told you that you have high blood pressure (hypertension) and you need to lose weight. You may have felt that you cannot do it alone and decided to learn more about over-the-counter diet supplements. You probably have come across various products, such as Hydroxycut, along with a laundry list of others all promising to help you lose weight. You are left with more questions than answers, what dietary supplement should I take? Are these diet supplements safe given my high blood pressure?
Unfortunately, if you have high blood pressure (hypertension), the majority of weight loss supplements contain stimulants (most often high doses of caffeine since the ephedra ban) which will raise your blood pressure. Therefore, these diet supplements are not safe to take if you have hypertension. Getting your blood pressure under control may require avoidance of such stimulants (i.e. caffeine) as those found in over-the-counter weight loss diet formulations. Many of these so-called weight loss formulations are simply a vitamin enriched caffeine pill. That’s right, a glorified pill of concentrated caffeine. But those product endorsements and user testimonials are convincing aren’t they? Pure marketing genius.
In regards to weight loss supplements to help you achieve your diet goals, we feel that two particular supplements may provide you with some benefit.
1. CLA (conjugated linolenic acid) has been shown to help mobilize fat from body stores so that when you are dieting, your body more efficiently uses existing body fat rather than alternative sources of fuel. During times of caloric deficit (dieting) the body has a somewhat surprising preference to tear down muscle mass to convert to energy rather than body fat.
2. L-glutamine (glutamine – a simple amino acid) has been shown to reduce muscle breakdown during stress (life, exercise, etc.) including the stress of weight loss and dieting on the body. The benefit of avoiding muscle breakdown for diet and weight loss success is that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn per day. In fact, you burn an additional 20 calories per day for every additional pound of muscle.
With these two diet and weight loss supplements combined, we believe it could help you twofold in that as you diet and reduce your calories, you will burn more fat from body fat stores while at the same time decreasing muscle breakdown, which ultimately means more weight loss over the long-term.
This formulation, to my knowledge, has not been studied in a randomized controlled trial. However, given the known properties of these two supplements, we feel that this could be a very powerful weight loss combination, particularly for those with high blood pressure, that targets weight loss specific to existing body fat stores while helping to prevent muscle breakdown (catabolism).
Where to Buy
We recommend purchasing these two supplements through A1Supplements. This site is consistently the cheapest on the web for the vast majority of all supplements.
Alternatively, you can read our review on the Top 10 Supplements Sites List that I wrote prior which uses a targeted formula regarding price + quality to rate the best supplement sites online. This list comprises the absolute best supplement sites on the web. As a word of caution, we recommend purchasing from one of these trusted resources, as many sites exist on the net which sell low quality products that have been found by consumer reports to contain various harmful substances (including mercury).
We hope you have enjoyed:
Supplements for Weight Loss If You Have High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Table of Contents
- Diet & Nutrition Advice
- Exercise & Fitness Advice
- Exercise & Fitness Opinion
- Exercise & Fitness Product Reviews
- Health Advice
- Injury Prevention & Recovery Advice
- Magazine Deals
- The Daily Battle
- No public Twitter messages.